Packing TipsPreparing Items for Storage
Place all smaller items in uniformly sized boxes. Completely fill each box with heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on the top. Uniformly sized boxes stack easier and conserve storage space.
- Appliances: Clean and dry all appliances prior to storage. Do not leave anything inside of appliances to be stored. Store all appliances upright with doors ajar to allow ventilation.
- Blankets, Draperies and Clothing: Have blankets, draperies and clothing cleaned, then pack them on hangers in wardrobe boxes.
- Books: Pack books flat, not standing on end. This will protect the spines, which will bend and warp over time if stood upright. Books are very heavy. So, pack them in small boxes, and don’t put them in boxes with other, more fragile, items.
- Breakable Items: Wrap breakable items inside bubble wrap and store with linens.
- Dishes and Glassware: Store these items in specially made boxes called dishpacks.
- Furniture and Tables: Place blankets over furniture to protect from scratches and dust.
- Label Boxed Items: You’ll know what is in each box without opening it.
- Lawn Mowers: Drain gasoline and oil from all small engines. This precaution will protect both your stored property and the property of others from the dangers of fire and explosion.
- Leather Items: Treat leather items (couches, clothes, etc.) with a leather conditioner prior to storing them. Keep furniture items off the floor by placing them on pallets.
- Mattresses: Place mattresses in plastic slip-on covers to protect them from dust and moisture.
- Mirrors and Pictures: Store mirrors and pictures inside similarly sized knocked down boxes. This affords them protection from scratches and dust.
- Photos: Photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place between pieces of cardboard and tape them together. Do not store irreplaceable photos. Photos and negatives take up very little space. Try to keep these items with you.
- Pillows and Toys: Store smaller items like this in large plastic garbage bags.